Monday, April 30, 2007

Soviet Kitsch

A few clues for latecomers: Several weeks ago... A pile of money... An English class... A house by the river... A romantic young girl...

A season in hell.

I can almost smell the death-like sulphorous odour of exams; while the sun shines brightly outside on the vast canadian "concrete expanses laying fallow in the sun". I dreamt of long summer days, were I dressed in the softest of linen, lounging in a bed - a little sunshine through the drapes, a soft whisper of a wind - and kafka, sartre and black n white pictures of brooding young french actresses in army fatigue, laying strewn on my floor.

It will all come.. until then I share a desk with asians in the library, sipping silently with a hint of cynicism at my earl grey and english breakfast combo tea. One sip at a time.

Corinne: Didn't you hear what he said? Marx says we're all brothers!
Roland: Marx didn't say that. Some other communist said that. Jesus said that!

This blog has been bloody sporadic... which is what you feel like with a mouthful of valium and bottle brimming with obsession.

Anyhow what's on my playlist at the moment.. I think that should be a section I do each time.. yes! I'll make a note of that. Maybe that'll add some rigour and form to this blog...or an excuse for one!
Here you go (albums)

"Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo" ~~ by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (the amazing guitarist for the mars volta - he wrote this album and four others while in Amsterdam. A lot of the staple guest artists including Cedric Bixler are on this one, but there's one highlight: Damo Suzuki from the legendry Can. He features on the song: please heat this eventually - which is also on an ep that was released by omar, but that also includes vocals by damo which are missing on this album track. Anyhow when I am reading my physiology and genetics, this is what keeps me hacking away!!!)

"Volta" THE NEW BJORK ALBUM! ~~~ I got a leaked version for this one off torrents.. and it was substantially amazing. The first song Earth Intruders just sold it to me! Bam! I was like this woman is amazing! The beats are phenomenal.. !!! I'm running low on brain ink right now, but ask me in person and I will blow the trumpet for this one all the way to afghanistan!

Ok... I won't do anymore, because I wouldn't do the bands justice with less than 50 words.

Time for me to turn in with this line from Bande A Part:

My story ends here like a dime novel. At a superb moment, when everything is going right. Our next episode, this time in Cinemascope and Technicolor: Odile and Franz in the tropics.

2 comments:

Belmondo Cafe said...

That is one convoluted post. I mean, elucidate that sucker! You hopped around more than the bloody Easter Bunny. Barrel of a gun; that post exasperated me greatly. What do I say now? Who has the words. Not you. That post was a bloody train-wreck. All the train cars flew off the bridge into the river. The passengers don't drown either. They land and pierce their bodies on rocks and just suffer in pain. Than an annoying clown arrives and begins speaking about exams, then music, then quoting French films. WTF, mate!?

Haoma said...

if that came out really as fast i read it then kudos to you ...

sketching language is undisturbed flow from the mind of personal secret idea words, blowing (as per jazz musician) on subject of image ... (Essentials of spontaneous prose/Jack Kerouac)